Manufacturing Investment Helps Secure New Jobs For Ontarians
McGuinty Government Helping Company Compete In Global Market
Celestica is transforming its Toronto facility to focus on higher-growth markets, which will create and protect approximately 650 highly-skilled jobs positions for Ontario families. These new jobs will build upon the 97,700 net new jobs that have already been created in Ontario so far this year alone.
The province is partnering with Celestica as the company continues to diversify its markets and maintain its competitiveness in the global marketplace by expanding its services to include:
- solar panel manufacturing for clean energy
- specialized electronics for aerospace and defence
- commercialization and after-market services, including tablets, smart phones, and other personal communication devices.
Partnering with business and supporting the advanced electronics manufacturing industry are key components of the McGuinty government's plan to create and support new and existing jobs for Ontario families, and to strengthen local economies.
- Based in Toronto, Celestica delivers innovative supply chain solutions to a number of markets and employs approximately 35,000 people around the globe.
- Ontario's advanced manufacturing sector includes world leaders in aerospace, automotive, telecommunications, computers and electronics, chemicals, plastics, transportation, and food processing.
- Approximately 75,000 Ontarians work in nearly 500 advanced manufacturing and machinery companies.
- Since October 2003, Ontario has created 524,100 net new jobs for Ontario families.
- In 2010, Ontario was named a top destination for foreign direct investment in North America, second only to California. The province attracted a total of 127 Foreign Direct Investment projects, which created more than 11,200 jobs.
- As a result of the tax changes implemented in Ontario, taxes on business investment were cut in half, making Ontario more competitive and encouraging new business growth.
“This is an exciting development in the history of one of our local companies. We look forward to the impact the business expansion will have on the electronics manufacturing industry, as well as on regional and local economies.”
“Ontario maintains its commitment to creating jobs and growing the economy. Award-winning Celestica is among a growing number of Ontario companies that have distinguished themselves in the global marketplace for their commitment to productivity and R&D, and their superior customer service.”
“Through our global operations network and expertise in engineering and supply chain management, we enable our customers to innovate and compete in a highly competitive and global marketplace. We are pleased to receive support from the province to help maintain an advanced manufacturing capability in Canada.”