Speech from the Throne Charts the Way Forward
New Ontario Government Focused on Creating Jobs and a Fair Society
The new Ontario government is working to build a stronger province that will create good jobs and strong, healthy communities.
Dr. Eric Hoskins, Minister of Economic Development, Trade and Employment, and Ted McMeekin, MPP for Ancaster-Dundas-Flamborough-Westdale, spoke to local business leaders at the Hamilton Chamber of Commerce about the government's Speech from the Throne, delivered on February 19 by the Honourable David C. Onley, Ontario's Lieutenant Governor.
The speech highlighted the government's commitment to finding common ground with the opposition so that Ontario can build a fair society and a stronger economy, while establishing a more accountable legislature.
Other highlights include:
- Eliminating the deficit by 2017-18.
- Focusing on employment opportunities for Ontario's youth, in partnership with education, labour and private sector partners.
- Working with the non-profit and private sectors to help recent graduates, people with disabilities, new Canadians and the unemployed find jobs.
- Working with Aboriginal communities to ensure they share in the benefits of resource development and have increased access to education, training and job opportunities.
- Ensuring small- and medium-sized enterprises have access to the capital they need to expand.
- Expanding trade corridors and making them attractive to global markets.
- David C. Onley is Ontario’s 28th Lieutenant Governor. He represents Her Majesty the Queen of Canada.
- This Speech from the Throne marks the beginning of the second session of the 40th Parliament of Ontario.
- Kathleen Wynne is Ontario’s first female premier.
“The Speech from the Throne sets out a strong framework for the future of our province. We are committed to providing opportunities for the people of Ontario and creating a strong, vibrant economy for this generation and the next.”
“The Speech from the Throne laid out a bold vision for a revitalized Ontario that includes jobs and opportunity for everyone who calls this province home. Now is the time for us to work together to make this vision a reality.”