Creating New Manufacturing Jobs in Cambridge
Ontario Helps DESCH Grow its Business
Ontario is helping DESCH Canada invest in machinery and expand into new markets while creating 10 new jobs and retaining 19 existing jobs in Cambridge.
The Cambridge facility specializes in clutches and gears for machines used in the construction and mining industries. With support from the Southwestern Ontario Development Fund, DESCH is installing new equipment required to manufacture a specialized precision crankshaft used in the oil and natural gas sector.
Modelled on the proven Eastern Ontario Development Fund, the Southwestern Ontario Development Fund is helping to create jobs and diversify the economy by encouraging regional businesses to pursue innovation and new markets. Together these two funds have created and retained more than 22,000 jobs and strengthened local economies.
Partnering with business is part of the government's economic plan to create jobs and help people in their everyday lives by investing in people, building strong infrastructure and creating a dynamic and innovative business climate across Ontario.
- Ontario is providing a grant of $698,000 towards the project.
- The Cambridge location was competing for this equipment upgrade with a plant in Germany, where the company is based. Provincial support helped to secure the investment for Ontario.
- Ontario is accepting applications for the Southwestern Ontario Development Fund from qualified businesses that are growing and creating jobs.
- Sectors eligible for the fund include advanced manufacturing, processing, life sciences, information and communications technology, tourism and cultural industries.
- Since October 2012, the government has committed $30 million through Southwestern Ontario Development Funding, leveraging a total investment of $285 million. These investments have helped to create over 1,600 new jobs and retained more than 5,400 existing jobs in the region.
“DESCH Canada is an example of the advanced, value-added manufacturing that Ontario excels at. This investment enhances the competitiveness of the Cambridge plant and helps the company add jobs by diversifying into new product lines. This is exactly the type of project the Southwestern Ontario Development Fund was established to support.”
Dr. Eric Hoskins
“DESCH is another example of an international company choosing Ontario, and specifically the Kitchener-Waterloo region, as the platform for its North American operations. Our government is delighted to help this company move to the next level, as a valued member of both our local community and Ontario’s broader manufacturing sector.”
“DESCH drivetrain technology, built right here in Cambridge, is installed in facilities across North America. With this investment, we’ll be bringing our expertise and industry-leading precision components to new partners in the oil and gas sector, opening up exciting new opportunities for our company.”