Orillia to Receive Funding for Old Barrie Road and Highway 11 South Ramp and Northbound Ramp Intersection Improvements
Project approved under the Small Communities Fund
Residents of Orillia will benefit from improvements to Old Barrie Road and the Highway 11 south ramp and northbound ramp intersection thanks to joint funding from the Governments of Canada and Ontario through the Small Communities Fund.
This project entails various road and intersection improvements in Orillia, including road realignment, off-ramp extensions, and the creation of new intersections and roadways. Improvements will help prepare the city for future economic growth while providing safer and smoother commutes for pedestrians and motorists.
The $1-billion Small Communities Fund provides funding for priority public infrastructure projects that deliver on local needs. Canada and Ontario will each provide $272 million to support projects in communities across the province with fewer than 100,000 residents. This funding will help address local priorities, supporting job creation and economic growth, thus sustaining a high quality of life in small communities across Ontario for years to come.
- The Government of Canada will provide up to $741,000 through the Small Communities Fund for these projects.
- The Province of Ontario will contribute up to $833,250 to this project.
- The City of Orillia will be responsible for all remaining costs of the project.
- To learn more about the Government of Canada’s infrastructure programs, including the Small Communities Fund, please visit http://www.infrastructure.gc.ca/plan/nbcp-npcc-eng.html.
- To find out more about Ontario’s infrastructure programs, including the Ontario Community Infrastructure Fund, visit http://www.moi.gov.on.ca/en/infrastructure.
- The City of Orillia is a city of 31,000 people in the heart of Ontario’s Lake Country on the shores of Lake Couchiching and Lake Simcoe. Visit our website at http://www.orillia.ca.
“We are pleased to invest in projects like Old Barrie Road and Highway 11 south ramp and northbound ramp intersection improvements that will benefit our community by improving much needed local infrastructure.Our Government’s commitment to municipalities, big and small, has never been stronger. Through the New Building Canada Plan Small Communities Fund we are investing in priority infrastructure projects that have a strong impact on the quality of life of Ontario’s residents while helping job creation and economic growth.”
“Today’s investment in the intersection of Old Barrie Road and Highway 11 South will help to provide residents with a safer, faster commute, while positioning Orillia for future growth. It’s part of the largest infrastructure investment in Ontario’s history – more than $130 billion over 10 years – which is supported by a number of initiatives, including unlocking the value of public assets to help make investments in transit, transportation and other priority infrastructure projects. It demonstrates our government’s commitment to keeping our communities strong, creating jobs and making sure that people get the basic services they pay for now and in the future.”
“The Old Barrie Road Intersection Improvement Project is crucial to the economic growth of Orillia and the safety of our commuters. We would like to thank the Governments of Canada and Ontario for their contribution to the project through the Small Communities Fund. These much needed road improvements will pave the way for new jobs, the development of the Horne Business Park, and safer access for motorists to facilities and amenities in West Orillia.”