Ontario Named Best Place in Canada to Invest
International Publication Names Province Winner of “Canadian Competitiveness Award”
Ontario has been named the best place in Canada to invest by a leading international magazine of corporate real estate strategy and economic development.
Site Selection magazine announced Ontario is the winner of the "Canadian Competitiveness Award." It ranked the province as the most competitive in Canada for several reasons, including:
- Ontario was number one in job creation associated with corporate investment, while coming in second in terms of incoming investments related to acquiring or upgrading physical assets such as property, industrial buildings and equipment
- Ontario metro areas were home to twice as much investment project activity than the next closest province
- Ontario cities accounted for half of the top 10 metro-area and regional economic development groups in Canada, including organizations in Hamilton, London, Toronto, Mississauga and Brantford.
Making Ontario a leading investment destination is one of the ways Ontario is delivering on its top priority to grow the economy and create jobs.
Provincial programs like the Business Growth Initiative and the Investment Ready: Certified Site Program are key components to fulfilling this priority and ensuring Ontario remains the best place in Canada to invest. Premier Kathleen Wynne is currently on her first mission to Mexico to strengthen ties with business and political leaders, promote Ontario as an ideal investment location and demonstrate Ontario's leadership in climate change at the Climate Summit of the Americas.
Helping communities across the province attract new investment is part of the government's economic plan to build Ontario up and deliver on its number-one priority to grow the economy and create jobs. The four-part plan includes helping more people get and create the jobs of the future by expanding access to high-quality college and university education. The plan is making the largest infrastructure investment in hospitals, schools, roads, bridges and transit in Ontario's history and is investing in a low-carbon economy driven by innovative, high-growth, export-oriented businesses. The plan is also helping working Ontarians achieve a more secure retirement.
- Ontario’s competitive business environment, superior talent and high quality of life helped attract a number of high-profile investments from global companies, including GE’s Brilliant Factory and JLabs@Toronto.
- The province is launching a Strategic Investments Office this fall, which will provide a dedicated one-window approach to improve Ontario’s investment attraction services.
- Ontario recently enhanced its Investment Ready: Certified Site program, which is the only province-wide site certification program in Canada. It can help get projects off the ground faster by marketing sites that have undergone rigorous due diligence to international investors.
- Certified sites are integrated into Ontario’s investment attraction strategy, and receive top consideration for strategic investment opportunities in the province.
- Site Selection magazine delivers expansion planning information to 48,000 executives of fast-growing firms. The senior publication in the development field, Site Selection has been advising corporations, government economic development and investment promotion agencies around the world since 1954.
“I am very pleased Ontario won the Canadian Competitiveness Award. Our province is one of the best places in the world to invest, and we will keep working hard to grow our economy, break down trade barriers, and create good jobs across the province.”