Ontario Investing in Advanced Manufacturing in Port Colborne
Province Partnering with Allied Marine & Industrial to Help Create Jobs
Ontario is partnering with Allied Marine & Industrial Inc. to invest in a new plant and innovative technologies, creating 16 new jobs and retaining 45 positions in Port Colborne.
Allied Marine & Industrial provides technical services to both marine and land-based industries in southern Ontario, including mechanical, machining, custom fabrication, manufacturing and field services. The company will move its tooling, machining, fabrication, assembly and storage buildings into a new state-of-the-art facility in Port Colborne with support from the province.
The facility will be equipped with new machinery and innovative technologies to expand operations and meet increased market demand in the heavy fabrication and machining sector.
Investing in advanced manufacturing is part of our plan to create jobs, grow our economy and help people in their everyday lives.
- About 90 per cent of Allied Marine & Industrial’s marine side of the business comes from the Great Lakes region of Canada and the United States.
- Ontario is investing $462,874 from the Southwestern Ontario Development Fund for this project. The project has a total eligible value of over $4.6 million and is expected to be completed by July 2017.
- Since 2013, the Southwestern Ontario Development Fund and Eastern Ontario Development Fund have helped to create and retain more than 32,500 jobs and attracted approximately $1.58 billion in investment. The funds cover up to 15 per cent of eligible project costs, with the recipient company funding the remainder from its own resources.
- Ontario is accepting applications for the Southwestern Ontario Development Fund from qualified businesses that are growing and creating jobs. Sectors eligible for the fund include advanced manufacturing, food processing, life sciences, information and communications technology, tourism and cultural industries.
- Ontario’s five-year, $400-million Business Growth Initiative is helping to grow the economy and create jobs by promoting an innovation-based economy, helping small companies scale-up and modernizing regulations for businesses.
“Ontario is committed to strategic partnerships like this, which help drive economic growth and create jobs. We are pleased to support Allied Marine & Industrial in their growth plans, which will help them increase productivity, stay competitive and create good paying jobs for Ontario families.”
“Ontario is pleased to support advanced manufacturers like Allied Marine & Industrial who have to expand to meet the increased demand for their products. It is great to see companies like this choosing to expand in Port Colborne and create new economic opportunities in the Niagara region.”
“At Allied Marine & Industrial we take pride in delivering products that meet our customers exact specifications while remaining cost-competitive. Our partnership with the Ontario government will help us expand our operations in Port Colborne to meet growing demand for our products and services.”