Ontario Announces New Tourism Partnership in China
Toronto to Host Amway China’s 25th Anniversary
Building on the success of the Premier's business mission to China, Ontario, in partnership with Tourism Toronto, is announcing that Amway China has selected Toronto to host their 25th Anniversary Leadership Seminar in 2020 after the province successfully showcased Ontario as an ideal international conference destination.
This event will welcome approximately 10,000 distributors to Toronto, and will generate an estimated $80 million in revenue from accommodation and conference expenses as well as visitor spending. Attendees will be able to explore and experience Ontario's world-renowned attractions.
Attracting events such as this -- as well as business delegations, inbound missions and international conferences -- showcases the province as a world-class destination while promoting new investment opportunities.
Attracting international investment and helping businesses compete globally is part of Ontario's plan to create opportunity during this period of rapid economic change. The plan includes a higher minimum wage and better working conditions, free tuition for hundreds of thousands of students, easier access to affordable child care, and free prescription drugs for everyone under 25 through the biggest expansion of medicare in a generation.
- In total, Premier Wynne’s three business missions to China since 2014 have secured more than $5.6 billion in agreements and created 5,200 Ontario jobs.
- Tourism is an important economic driver for Ontario. In 2015, tourism supported 389,000 jobs and generated over $32.3 billion of economic activity in Ontario.
- Tourism spending in Ontario grew by $1.5 billion — or 6% — from 2014 to 2015. During this period, 142 million people visited the province.
- As of 2015, China was Ontario’s second-largest contributor of tourism spending, with $591 million in total spending, and the second-largest contributor of tourism visits, with 218,000 visitors.
- Every year, Amway China hosts an annual Leadership Seminar that attracts 10,000 distributors for four nights. In 2017, it was held in Sydney, Australia and in 2018 it will be held in Queenstown, New Zealand.
“Ontario welcomes the opportunity to explore increased trade and tourism that will strengthen our economy and international brand. Hosting Amway China’s 25th Anniversary is a great example of how international partnerships help build greater trade relations and attract investment opportunities for Ontario.”
“National and international conventions are major economic drivers, and we look forward to welcoming Amway China in 2020. In 2015, convention delegates in Ontario generated $1.4 billion in spending and tourism generated over $32 billion in economic activity. By choosing us to host their 25th Anniversary Leadership Seminar, Amway China is giving a nod to Toronto as a world-class city and demonstrating that Ontario is a competitive destination for significant conferences.”
“Toronto was competing with some of the biggest destinations in the world for the Amway China bid, and we're thrilled to have been selected. Toronto’s tourism industry is thriving, especially from overseas markets like China — and that benefits the city, the province and all of the businesses in the visitor economy.”
“2020 will mark the 25th Anniversary Year for Amway China, and we’re thrilled to celebrate that milestone in Toronto. Not only is Toronto an exceptional destination that is situated close to the Amway headquarters, this is also the first time a destination is working with us on our incentive plan – an exciting collaboration for both Toronto and Amway China.”