Supporting Researchers to Accelerate Discovery and Innovation in Ontario
Province Investing in 289 Research Projects to Help People in Their Everyday Lives
Ontario is supporting researchers to make new discoveries that will benefit people, through funding for 289 projects across the province.
Reza Moridi, Minister of Research, Innovation and Science, made the announcement today at George Brown College's Fashion Exchange, where an investment through the Ontario Research Fund will help the college add equipment for its "FX LIFT" (Leading Innovation in Fashion Technology) project. Through FX LIFT, the college and industry collaborate to stay ahead of the curve in design, product development, manufacturing, retail and sustainability.
Ontario's support will help researchers across the province build teams, and cover the costs of research equipment and facilities, leading to new products and services, companies and jobs in fields like health care, advanced manufacturing, clean tech and computer technology.
Ontario is investing in projects through three funding programs:
- Ontario Research Fund - Small Infrastructure program - helps cover the costs of research equipment
- Ontario Research Fund - College-Industry Innovation program - promotes college-industry partnerships by helping cover facilities costs
- Early Researcher Awards - helps early career researchers build their research teams.
Investing in research and innovation is part of Ontario's plan to create fairness and opportunity during this period of rapid economic change. The plan includes a higher minimum wage and better working conditions, free tuition for hundreds of thousands of students, easier access to affordable child care, and free prescription drugs for everyone under 25 through the biggest expansion of medicare in a generation.
- Ontario is investing close to $961,000 in the Fashion Exchange at George Brown College through the Ontario Research Fund – College Industry Innovation Program.
- Ontario is investing $53.2 million in: 179 projects through the Ontario Research Fund – Small Infrastructure program,102 projects through the Early Researchers Award and eight projects through the Ontario Research Fund – College-Industry Innovation program.
- Since 2013, Ontario has committed investments of more than $621 million towards 1,092 research projects through the Ontario Research Fund and Early Researcher Awards programs.
“Research projects like FX LIFT at George Brown College’s Fashion Exchange strengthen Ontario’s competitive edge. The Ontario Research Fund and the Early Researcher Awards help provide research institutions with modern facilities and equipment and enable researchers to expand their teams. Ontario’s research funding programs are an important way we support our province’s researchers as they make exciting and innovative discoveries.”
“George Brown College’s research mission is to support and advance industry and community problem solving through excellence in applied research, commercialization and scholarship. We are grateful for this support from the Ministry of Research, Innovation and Science — helping us to contribute to research excellence in Ontario, and meeting the needs of the innovation economy.”