Excitement Brewing for Ontario Craft Beers
Province Helping Ontario Craft Brewers Create Jobs
Ontario is providing small craft brewers with renewed support by extending the Ontario Microbrewery Strategy for two more years to help create jobs and expand the industry.
Through the Ontario Microbrewery Strategy, the province is helping small brewers explore new marketing, training and tourism development opportunities.
Craft beer is a growing and important industry in Ontario, employing more than 650 people in direct brewery jobs at 47 microbreweries. Support through Ontario's Microbrewery Strategy also helps create indirect jobs in Ontario's agriculture and hospitality sectors.
Providing the right climate to attract investment, create jobs and grow the economy is part of the new Ontario government's plan to build a prosperous and fair province.
- The province is renewing the Ontario Microbrewery Strategy for $1.2 million in annual funding from 2014–2016.
- The Ontario Craft Brewers help implement the microbrewery strategy by working to raise awareness of locally-made lagers, ales, pilsners, porters and stouts.
- Ontario’s craft brewers are the largest purchaser of Ontario-grown hops.
- In 2012, Niagara College offered Canada’s first Brewmaster and Brewery Operations Management program — everyone in the first graduating class got industry jobs.
- Ontario craft brewers produce over 140 international beer styles and have won hundreds of medals in major national and international competitions.
- In 2012, Ontario’s craft beers led LCBO sales in all categories, including wine and spirits, with nearly 45 per cent sales growth.
- Find Ontario craft beers near you on iPhone and Android with the OCB Beer Locator App — you can browse a list of Ontario craft beers sold in the LCBO or The Beer Store or at local licensees, alphabetically or by brewery.
- Find out more about Toronto’s Festival of Beer — July 26 to 28.
- Read the Budget for a Prosperous and Fair Ontario.
“Ontario’s award-winning craft brewers are creating jobs and contributing to the growth of our economy. Extending the microbrewery strategy will help support the success of this thriving industry — not just by supporting brewers themselves, but by supporting the spin-off jobs they create through their success including in local agriculture and in the hospitality industry.”
“We’re proud to work with the Ontario government to bring more attention to the fine products made by our province’s craft brewers. Ontario has tremendous brewing talent and we thank the Ontario government for helping support and grow the opportunities for Ontario craft beer makers.”
“This announcement is great news for our industry. The path is clear for continued growth, success and job creation for Steam Whistle Brewing and all local craft breweries throughout Ontario.”