Collingwood to Receive Funding for Hume Street Reconstruction
Project approved under the Small Communities Fund
Residents of Collingwood will benefit from the reconstruction of Hume Street thanks to joint funding from the Governments of Canada and Ontario through the Small Communities Fund.
This project will see the reconstruction of Hume Street, including improvements to the roadway pavement, turning lines, traffic signals and drainage facilities as well as associated water and wastewater work. Once completed, this project is expected to improve access to the hospital as well as enhance safety for motorists, pedestrians and cyclists.
The $1-billion Small Communities Fund provides funding for priority public infrastructure projects that deliver on local needs. Canada and Ontario will each provide $272 million to support projects in communities across the province with fewer than 100,000 residents. This funding will help address local priorities, supporting job creation and economic growth, thus sustaining a high quality of life in small communities across Ontario for years to come.
- The Government of Canada will provide up to $1 million through the Small Communities Fund for this project.
- The Province of Ontario will contribute up to $1 million to this project.
- The Town of Collingwood will be responsible for all remaining costs of the project.
- To learn more about the Government of Canada’s infrastructure programs, including the Small Communities Fund, please visit http://www.infrastructure.gc.ca/plan/nbcp-npcc-eng.html.
- To find out more about Ontario’s infrastructure programs, including the Ontario Community Infrastructure Fund, visit http://www.moi.gov.on.ca/en/infrastructure
- To learn more about the Town of Collingwood and the reconstruction of Hume Street, visit www.collingwood.ca/Hume.
“We are pleased to invest in projects like the Hume Street Reconstruction that will benefit our community by improving much needed local infrastructure.Our Government’s commitment to municipalities, big and small, has never been stronger. Through the New Building Canada Plan Small Communities Fund we are investing in priority infrastructure projects that have a strong impact on the quality of life of Ontario’s residents while helping job creation and economic growth.”
The Honourable K. Kellie Leitch
“Today’s investment will help to see a complete reconstruction of Hume Street, which will improve road safety for motorists, pedestrians and cyclists in Collingwood. This is part of the largest infrastructure investment in Ontario’s history – more than $130 billion over 10 years – which is supported by a number of initiatives, including unlocking the value of public assets to help make investments in transit, transportation and other priority projects. Our government is committed to building Ontario up through important community infrastructure projects like these.”
“The reconstruction of Hume Street will provide improved travel for residents and visitors, to many important facilities in our community, including the Collingwood General & Marine Hospital. We are looking forward to a number of enhancements, including a centre turning lane and bike lanes and sidewalks on either side, which will assist in encouraging safe travel through Collingwood. We would like to thank the governments of Canada and Ontario for their partnership through the Small Communities Fund.”