Ontario Sets Stage for Local Conservation Programs
McGuinty Government Establishing Conservation Targets For Local Electricity
Ontario is establishing conservation targets for all local electricity utilities. The Ontario Energy Board and the Ontario Power Authority will be directed to implement these targets.
These targets will help utilities design and deliver conservation programs to residential, commercial, institutional and industrial customers across the province. This will expand the number of conservation programs in Ontario to include:
- Province-wide Programs - programs jointly developed by the Ontario Power Authority and local electricity utilities
- Collective Local Distribution Company Programs - programs developed by groups of local electricity utilities
- Individual Local Distribution Company Programs - programs developed by individual local electricity utilities to meet unique local needs
The conservation targets will help achieve 1,330 megawatt (MW) of provincial peak demand savings over a four-year period beginning January 1, 2011.
Transitioning families, businesses and government to lower and more efficient energy use is a key focus of Ontario's Green Energy Act and supports the five-year Open Ontario plan to create new opportunities for jobs and growth.
- 1330 megawatts (MW) in conservation equates to removing approximately 410,000 homes off the grid.
- OPA estimates that an average residential customer can reduce their electricity bill by up to 15 per cent by adopting various conservation measures (opportunities to conserve vary from customer to customer).
“Our government recognizes the close relationship local electricity providers have with their customers. Empowering them to create their own conservation programs is a key part of the government's strategy to create a culture of conservation and to eliminating coal-fired generation from Ontario's energy supply.”
Hon. Brad Duguid
“This latest development is a strong indication of government's commitment to conservation and its recognition of the leadership role that electricity distribution companies will play in fostering a culture of conservation among Ontarians. Clear conservation targets and resources will allow us to provide our customers with local programs that can help them manage the electricity they use in their homes and businesses.”
“This initiative sets the stage for real change in achieving energy efficiency targets in Ontario.”