Ontario Supports Leading Edge Smart Grid Projects
Smart Grid Fund Helps Secure Ontario’s Energy Future
Ontario is building a smarter electricity grid by supporting 17 new energy projects through its Smart Grid Fund program.
The province will provide almost $24 million, supporting about $54 million in total electricity sector investment, expecting to create more than 350 jobs. This round of funding will support advanced energy technology projects in the areas of:
- Energy storage: to allow energy to be stored and brought back to the grid on request to balance system needs.
- Electric vehicle integration: to assist customers and utilities in managing the unique electricity system challenges associated with electric vehicle (EV) adoption.
- Behind the Meter: to enable two-way information exchange between consumer and the utility in order to improve system efficiency and consumer cost management.
- Microgrids: to help localized groups of electricity generation, energy storage, and loads that function autonomously from the main electricity grid function more efficiently.
- Grid automation: to use innovative software and hardware to help the system operator remotely control and manage the electricity grid.
- Data analytics: to find new ways to use data generated by smart meters and other electricity grid assets to help improve investment decisions and system performance.
A Smart Grid is a modern, intelligent electricity system. It uses advanced communications and control technology to improve the flexibility, reliability and efficiency of the electricity system. The Smart Grid Fund supports Ontario-based projects that test, develop and bring to market the next generation of smart grid solutions.
Building a smart grid and supporting innovation is part of the government's economic plan for Ontario. The four-part plan is building Ontario up by investing in people's talents and skills, building new public infrastructure like roads and transit, creating a dynamic, supportive environment where business thrives and building a secure savings plan so everyone can afford to retire.
- The Smart Grid Fund is a $50 million program that supports high-value opportunities to advance energy innovation in Ontario.
- Launched in April 2011, the Smart Grid Fund has supported eleven projects to-date, creating more than 600 direct and indirect jobs.
- Ontario’s Smart Grid is supported by 4.8 million smart meters installed in homes and businesses across the province.
- A smarter grid is better able to detect, prevent and restore outages, gives families and businesses more tools to manage their power use, and further reduces greenhouse gas emissions by making it easier to connect renewable energy to the grid.
- In Smart from Sunrise to Sunset, the Environmental Commissioner of Ontario views the pursuit of a smart grid a progressive policy development and shrewd investment.
“Ontario’s commitment to supporting leading-edge Ontario-based smart-grid projects is helping to create Ontario jobs and make Ontario a North American leader in emerging energy technologies. These projects represent an investment that will have long-term positive impacts on the energy sector’s contribution to developing innovative technologies, fostering economic development and promoting job creation.”