Applications Now Open for Smart Grid Projects
Province Supporting Ontario’s Clean Energy Future
Ontario is accepting a new round of project applications for the Smart Grid Fund, in order to support the ongoing development of a modern, intelligent electricity system.
The Smart Grid Fund supports projects that test, develop and bring to market the next generation of energy grid solutions, helping consumers and businesses manage energy costs, improve conservation efforts, and integrate new beneficial technologies like electric vehicles and storage.
This round of funding will support advanced energy technology functions and project focus areas such as:
- Consumer-focused initiatives that seek to optimize smart technologies and systems by involving customers as active energy sector participants
- Self-healing grids that can perform fault location, isolation and service restoration using automated technologies and communication systems
- Enhanced fault prevention that can precisely detect faults while protecting equipment and enabling faster response
- Automated voltage control solutions to automatically track, operate, and optimise voltage levels on feeders
- Dynamic capacity rating that accurately monitors line conditions in real time
- Microgrid solutions in either urban or remote settings
- Distributed energy resources monitoring and control, enabling more effective and efficient integration of these types of assets onto distribution systems
- Advanced metering infrastructure (AMI) that improves accuracy and security of meter reading and enhances the utility's ability to manage its system.
Building a smarter grid and supporting innovation is part of the government's plan to build Ontario up. The plan includes investing in people's talents and skills, making the largest investment in public infrastructure in Ontario's history, creating a dynamic, innovative environment where business thrives and building a secure retirement savings plan.
- Eligible project applications will be accepted until 9 a.m. on November 30, 2015.
- The Smart Grid Fund, launched in 2011, is a $50 million program that supports high-value opportunities to advance energy innovation in Ontario.
- Supported by investments such as Ontario’s 4.7 million smart meters, the smart grid connects the electricity system with new technologies and sources of information to help reduce service disruptions, increase conservation capacity, reduce energy waste and increase grid security.
- Smart grid technologies also provide consumers with conservation tools that allow for more efficient electricity use and help manage costs.
“The 28 projects supported by the Smart Grid Fund have created almost 900 jobs and collaborations between private industry, local distribution companies and universities. These cutting edge projects will have long-term positive impacts on the energy sector’s contribution to developing innovative, consumer focused technologies, fostering economic development and promoting job creation.”