Helping Businesses in Waterloo and Brant County Cut Energy Bills
New Thermostats Will Help 1,000 Small- and Medium-Sized Businesses
Ontario is launching a new pilot program to help small- and medium-sized businesses in Waterloo and Brant County reduce their energy use and save money on their monthly bills.
The pilot program, a partnership between the government, local electricity and gas utilities and the Independent Electricity System Operator, will support the installation of ecobee thermostats in approximately 1,000 locations. These thermostats are expected to save small- and medium-sized businesses an average of eight to 12 per cent annually on their electricity bill
This upgrade will allow businesses to customize their settings and remotely monitor and adjust schedules, saving energy and money.
Supporting energy conservation for businesses and encouraging innovation in our energy sector is part of Ontario's plan to create jobs, grow our economy and help people in their everyday lives.
- ecobee is an Ontario-based company that makes thermostats for residential and commercial use. Its EMS Si thermostat can be controlled through the web or an app on any smart phone.
- Small businesses in Waterloo and Brant County can apply to this program online or by contacting their local electric utility. Small- and medium-size businesses that are eligible include retailers, service providers (e.g., doctors, dentists, automotive, gyms), churches and faith centres, restaurants and food services.
- Energy +Inc, Kitchener-Wilmot Hydro Inc., Waterloo North Hydro Inc. and Union Gas Ltd are the local utilities serving the Kitchener-Waterloo area and collaborating on the launch of this program.
- Energy+ Inc. (Energy+) is a local distribution company, and delivers electricity and energy efficiency programs to approximately 64,000 customers in the City of Cambridge, Township of North Dumfries and within the County of Brant. The company also provides water/waste water billing and collection services to customers in the County of Brant.
- Kitchener-Wilmot Hydro Inc. (KW Hydro) is wholly owned by the City of Kitchener and the Township of Wilmot and is governed by an independent Board of Directors appointed by its shareholders. KW Hydro serves more than 90,000 homes and businesses across the City of Kitchener and the Township of Wilmot.
- Waterloo North Hydro Inc. is a local distribution company that provides safe, efficient and reliable electricity distribution services to over 55,700 residential and business customers in the City of Waterloo and the Townships of Wellesley and Woolwich. Waterloo North Hydro Inc. is a subsidiary of Waterloo North Hydro Holding Corporation and is jointly owned by the City of Waterloo and the Townships of Wellesley and Woolwich.
- Union Gas Ltd. is a major Canadian natural gas storage, transmission and distribution company based in Ontario.
“This innovative new pilot program is an excellent example of local utilities working together with the Ontario government to help their customers. Small businesses are going to see their costs reduced as they conserve energy with these thermostats, helping them grow and compete. I encourage all business owners to reach out to their local utility to learn about programs like this one that help save energy and money.”