Ontario Helping Timmins Mining Business Save on Energy
Energy Conservation Programs Supporting Kidd Operations Competitiveness
Ontario is helping Timmins-based Kidd Operations with energy efficient upgrades to reduce electricity consumption and costs.
Minister of Energy Glenn Thibeault was in Timmins today to officially recognize Kidd Operations’s new ventilation-on-demand system, which is the largest energy efficiency project in Ontario mining history. This state-of-the-art system will allow the mine to remotely monitor and adjust the underground ventilation, helping to save energy and money. This new system’s ability to track personnel and control ventilation to clear worksites faster also means improved safety and security for Kidd Mine employees.
Glencore’s Kidd Operations also participates in Ontario’s Industrial Conservation Initiative, which empowers larger businesses to lower their electricity costs by up to one-third. Ontario recently expanded this program, allowing more than one thousand new industrial businesses to participate.
Supporting energy conservation for businesses and encouraging innovation in our energy sector is part of Ontario's plan to create jobs, grow our economy and help people in their everyday lives.
- Ontario is providing Kidd Mine with $5.6 million through its Industrial Accelerator Program to support the ventilation-on-demand project.
- The Kidd Mine is the world’s deepest base-metal mine below sea level, mining at 9,600 feet with shaft bottom at 9,889 feet. Kidd Operations is one of the largest private-sector employers in the City of Timmins, with 800 full time positions.
- The Industrial Accelerator Program (IAP) is designed to assist eligible transmission-connected companies to fast track capital investment in major energy conservation projects.
- The Save on Energy for Business program for commercial, institutional and industrial consumers offers incentives for energy audits, retrofits, process and systems upgrades, and energy efficient measures, such as lighting.
- For more information on the Industrial Accelerator Program, please contact an IESO Business Manager at email@example.com or visit the Industrial Accelerator Program website
- Distribution-connected customers can visit the Save on Energy for Business website, or speak to their local electricity utility.
- Visit Enbridge Gas and Union Gas websites for information on energy management programs available to their customers.
- Learn how Ontario is developing the next Long-Term Energy Plan.
“Ontario is committed to supporting a strong mining sector across the North. Glencore’s Kidd Mine is leading by example, staying competitive through innovation and creating jobs in Timmins. Our government is going to keep focused on doing everything we can to create jobs, grow our economy and help people in their everyday lives.”
“Remaining competitive in a volatile global market is essential to the success of Glencore’s Kidd Operations. Energy is one of our single biggest cost drivers and we are continuously looking at ways of reducing our cost base through the introduction of innovative energy efficient projects. Implementation of ventilation-on-demand at Kidd, the world’s deepest base-metal mine, has allowed us to substantially improve our energy efficiencies thereby assisting us in managing our production costs.”