Boosting Organ And Tissue Donation To Save Lives
McGuinty Government Providing More Ways To Register As A Donor
Ontario is making it easier to register to become an organ and tissue donor.
A recent pilot project at select ServiceOntario centres involved asking customers if they wanted to sign up for organ and tissue donation when they renewed their driver's licences or Ontario Photo Cards. The program resulted in increased donor registrations and will now be rolled out across the province. It builds on the government's existing policy of asking customers for donor consent when they register for or renew their health cards.
The program will expand to 91 ServiceOntario centres in the coming months and will be rolled out to all remaining locations over the next year.One organ and tissue donor can save up to eight lives. With evidence of their loved ones' registered consent, almost all families honour this donation decision. Without registered consent, only 50 per cent of families consent to organ donation.
- People can also easily register to be donors online at beadonor.ca.
- The organ donation pilot project ran for five weeks during February and March 2012.
- Over 100,000 transactions have been recorded in the online donor registry since its launch in June 2011.
- Last year, 222 organ donors helped save 985 lives through organ transplantation and over 1,700 tissue donors enhanced lives of thousands of patients.
- There are 1,500 people waiting for an organ in Ontario.
“Promoting organ donation is already a priority of the Ontario Government. This is one more way to encourage people to become organ donors and to save more lives when they renew their driver's licences or photo cards.”
Harinder S. Takhar
“As long as people are waiting for organ and tissue donations, it's important that we continue to make registering to become a donor as easy as possible. This expansion will give Ontarians another opportunity to make this simple and generous decision, which takes only minutes to complete, but could one day save many lives.”
“We welcome ServiceOntario's efforts to register more organ and tissue donors. More registered donors in Ontario means more lives will be saved and enhanced through transplantation. Working together, we can make a difference.”