Thunder Bay Contractor Fined $2,000 for Unfair Practice and Failing to Refund Consumer
October 26, 2017 / Ministry of Government and Consumer Services
Convicted - John Carlo Bossio
Location - Thunder Bay
Description of Offence - Mr. Bossio signed a contract to perform renovation work for a Thunder Bay household. He failed to perform the work and did not refund the consumers' deposit after they cancelled the contract.
Date of Offence - between August 26, 2014 and June 1, 2015 - unfair practice; December 29, 2014 - failure to refund
Date of Conviction - September 13, 2017 at the Ontario Court of Justice in Thunder Bay by Justice of the Peace Joseph A. B. Caron
The court imposed the following against Mr. Bossio:
- Fines of $1,000 for an unfair practice and $1,000 for failing to refund
- Payment of $5,669.39 in restitution to consumers
- Two-year probation with terms of restitution, a reporting requirement and reporting an address change.
- On August 26, 2014, the consumers signed a contract with Mr. Bossio, the sole proprietor of Bossio Design Inc. for renovations to their garage.
- The consumers paid a deposit of $5,669.39.
- The work was not performed.
- On December 12, 2014, the consumers cancelled the contract and asked for the return of their deposit. The consumers were not refunded their deposit.