Ontario Launches Consultations to Update Consumer Protection Act
Reviewing the Consumer Protection Act for the first time in 15 years
Ontario is making government work smarter and rebuilding consumer confidence by conducting a comprehensive review of the Consumer Protection Act. This review will ensure that consumers are protected in everyday transactions — from buying clothing in a store to renovating their home.
"The Consumer Protection Act has not been reviewed since it came into force in 2005, and the marketplace has drastically changed since then," said Lisa Thompson, Minister of Government and Consumer Services. "The review is part of Ontario's plan to work smarter by putting consumers first and listening to their needs and concerns to help better protect them."
The review will consider opportunities to address changing technology, marketplace innovations, and streamlining requirements for businesses and consumers. As a first step, an online survey will gather information about consumers' understanding of the act and their experiences when engaging in consumer transactions. Ontarians can fill out the survey at ontario.ca/ConsumerReview until May 11, 2020.
The government will also be conducting consultations with consumers and businesses through the regulatory registry later this year.
"Our government is committed to providing best-in-class protections so the people of Ontario have confidence when they spend their hard-earned money," said Thompson. "We're building a foundation for a modern and equitable system that truly puts people at the centre of everything we do — both now and in the future. And we want to assure Ontarians that they have a voice in helping us create stronger rules to protect them and their families."
- In Ontario, many of your rights as a consumer are set out by the Consumer Protection Act and other consumer protection legislation.
- On December 5, 2019, the government introduced Bill 159, the Rebuilding Consumer Confidence Act, to strengthen protection and enhance business practices for the people of Ontario.
- On December 19, 2019, the government released the Rebuilding Consumer Confidence Report, which includes a commitment to review the Consumer Protection Act.
- Complete the online survey at ontario.ca/ConsumerReview or sign up to participate in future consultations by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Read the Consumer Protection Act, 2002
- Learn about your rights under the Consumer Protection Act, 2002
- Learn about other legislation protecting consumers