New Investments in First Nation Communities in the Ring of Fire
Ontario is supporting First Nations in the Ring of Fire.
Projects being supported in Aroland First Nation include:
- A Women and Youth Business and Career Development Workshop that will help women and youth from Matawa First Nations benefit from mining-related career opportunities.
- A Community Development Plan that will help the community capitalize on mining-related economic development opportunities.
- An Aftercare and Skills Development Plan that will pair addictions aftercare with training and employment opportunities, including a Mining for Non-Miners training course.
Projects being supported in Webequie First Nation include:
- A series of training courses and programs such as Equipment Training, Ring of Fire Choices and Options Program, Mining for Non-Miners Training, and Remote Cook Training.
- A series of community development projects and workshops such as Corporate Restructure and Governance Training, Media Relations and Presentation Training, Public Private Partnership Orientation Workshop, and Stakeholder Analysis and Engagement Workshop.
Projects being supported in Neskantaga First Nation include:
- A Training to Employment Program Development Workshop that will prepare community members for mining-related employment opportunities.
- The Environment Monitoring Training Workshop that will train community members in environmental monitoring related to mining development.
- The Wildlife Monitoring Training Workshop that will train community members in wildlife monitoring.
Nibinamik First Nation will deliver a Community Training and Capacity Building Program that will help the community access mining-related opportunities in their territory.
Eabametoong First Nation will deliver a Multi-Sector Skills Training Project for community members, which includes training in heavy equipment operation, water and wastewater management, and hydro generation.
Oshki-Pimache-O-Win Education and Training Institute will deliver a Mobile Mining Essentials and Pre-Trades Program that will prepare First Nations in the Ring of Fire area for mining-related employment opportunities.
Marten Falls First Nation will deliver a General Educational Development preparation course to 30 community members.