Hospital Assumes Management of Woodbridge Vista Care Community in Vaughan
Temporary measures required to help contain COVID-19 outbreak
TORONTO — The Ministry of Long-Term Care is appointing William Osler Health System as interim manager at Woodbridge Vista Care Community long-term care home in Vaughan, Ontario.
Despite receiving hospital support, Woodbridge Vista Care Community has been unable to contain the spread of COVID-19. These steps will enable a rigorous management structure to help contain the spread of the disease and assist in returning their home to normal operations.
"During these unprecedented times, it's important to use every tool available to keep Ontarians safe," said Dr. Merrilee Fullerton, Minister of Long-Term Care. "I am pleased to see the dedicated staff at William Osler Health System and Woodbridge Vista Care Community working together to contain COVID-19 and keep residents and staff safe."
The Ministry of Long-Term Care will continue to make decisions on which long-term care homes may require additional management support on a case-by-case basis. The province is working with its health partners in addressing challenges in the long-term care sector by involving hospitals in deploying Infection Prevention and Control teams to homes, continued staff and resident testing, addressing personal protective equipment supply issues, and redeploying hospital staff to help with critical staffing shortages in long-term care homes.
- The government recently announced the launch of an independent, non-partisan commission into Ontario's long-term care system beginning in July 2020. Details of the commission are now being finalized, including the terms of reference, membership, leadership of the commission and reporting timelines.
- Testing of long-term care residents and staff for COVID-19 has been completed with additional rounds of testing underway.
- Visit Ontario's website to learn more about how the province continues to protect Ontarians from COVID-19.
- The COVID-19 Action Plan: Long-Term Care Homes outlines the steps that the government is taking to protect residents and staff in long-term care homes.
- Emergency information and orders.
- Ontario Taking Action on Key Recommendations from Public Inquiry into the Safety and Security of Residents in the Long-Term Care Homes System.
“The health and safety of every resident in Vaughan-Woodbridge will always be my number one priority. I fully support our government's decision to take immediate action to address the situation at Woodbridge Vista Care Community. The people of Vaughan-Woodbridge deserve nothing less than action and answers. I assure you that our government will deliver them.”
“William Olser Health System in collaboration with The Ministry of Long-Term Care is committed to best supporting Woodbridge Vista Care Community residents and staff through this difficult time.”
Dr. Naveed Mohammad