Investments in Affordable Housing in Canada
Measures over the next two years to give Canadians greater access to more affordable housing include:
- Doubling of the current IAH funding levels by the Government of Canada and provinces and territories, to more than $1 billion over two years, starting in 2016-2017 and 2017-2018.
- Through the IAH, the Government of Canada is also providing over two years:
- $200.1 million to support the construction, repair and adaption of affordable housing for seniors;
- $89.9 million to support victims of family violence, and the construction and renovation of shelters and transition houses; and,
- $177.7 million to address the housing needs in the North and Inuit communities.
- $490 million for retrofits and renovations of social housing units in Canada. This funding is in addition to the $77.7 million being delivered by the Government of Canada, through Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation.