Waterloo Landlord and Property Manager Each Fined $2,250 for Residential Tenancies Act Violations
Convicted: 2526328 Ontario Inc. and Turn Key Property Management Inc.
Location: Region of Waterloo
Description of Offence: Three counts against each defendant of charging an illegal key deposit
Date of Offence: February 23-March 14, 2017
Date of Conviction: June 17, 2019
- Following a guilty plea, 2526328 Ontario Inc. and Turn Key Property Management Inc. were each fined a total of $2,250 by Justice of the Peace Michael A. Cuthbertson.
- The court also imposed victim fine surcharges totalling $375 for each defendant as required by the Provincial Offences Act. The victim fine surcharges go to a special fund to assist victims of crime.
- 2526328 Ontario Inc. is the landlord of a rental property in Waterloo.
- Turn Key Property Management Inc. manages the property for the landlord.
- In February and March 2017, six tenants signed leases to rent units in the property. Each tenant was charged a $200 key deposit.
- Under the Residential Tenancies Act, a landlord may charge a refundable key deposit in an amount not greater than the expected direct replacement costs of the key.
- 2526328 Ontario Inc. did not refund the key deposits to three of the tenants when they moved out of their units.
- Turn Key Property Management Inc. did not refund the key deposits to the other three tenants when they moved out of their units.
- After the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing laid charges, 2526328 Ontario Inc. and Turn Key Property Management Inc. refunded the key deposits to the tenants.