Simcoe County Landlord Fined $1,500 for Residential Tenancies Act Violation
Convicted: Casino R.V Resorts Inc.
Location: Simcoe County
Description of Offence: Withholding the reasonable supply of heat to a tenant
Date of Offence: September 1, 2018 — June 15, 2019
Date of Conviction: December 16, 2019
- Following a guilty plea, Casino R.V Resorts Inc. was fined $1,500 in Orillia by Justice of the Peace Karen Walker.
- The court also imposed a 25 per cent victim fine surcharge ($375) as required by the Provincial Offences Act.
- Casino R.V Resorts Inc. is the landlord of a rental property in Simcoe County.
- In early 2018, the furnace in the basement of the property stopped working.
- Casino R.V Resorts Inc. did not repair the furnace despite requests from the tenant. The furnace was still not repaired during the period from September 1, 2018 to June 15, 2019.
- Under the Residential Tenancies Act, landlords are not permitted to withhold the reasonable supply of heat to a tenant between September 1 and June 15. During this period, rental units must be maintained (or capable of being maintained) at a temperature of at least 20 degrees Celsius.