Brampton Landlord Fined for Residential Tenancies Act Violation
Convicted: 2556830 Ontario Inc.
Description of Offence: Withholding the reasonable supply of gas to a tenant
Date of Offence: July 10 - August 8, 2019
Date of Conviction: February 4, 2020
- Following a guilty plea, 2556830 Ontario Inc. was fined $2,500 in Brampton by Justice of the Peace Helena Cassano.
- The court also imposed a 25 per cent victim fine surcharge ($625) as required by the Provincial Offences Act.
- 2556830 Ontario Inc. is the landlord of a rental property in Brampton.
- 2556830 Ontario Inc. was responsible for paying the utilities for the rental unit, including gas.
- On July 10, 2019, the supply of gas to the rental unit was disconnected by Enbridge Gas Inc. due to nonpayment by 2556830 Ontario Inc.
- On August 8, 2019, the supply of gas to the rental unit was restored as 2556830 Ontario Inc. paid the arrears.
Under the Residential Tenancies Act, a landlord is not permitted to withhold the reasonable supply of gas if the landlord agreed to provide it under the tenancy agreement.