McGuinty Government Invests In Domestic Violence Prevention In Algoma-Manitoulin
The Ontario government is strengthening the communities in which we live by providing a total of $27,000 for nine projects in Algoma-Manitoulin to help prevent violence against women and children. The Ministry of Northern Development and Mines' Violence Against Women Prevention Initiative is one of approximately 40 provincial government programs, involving 10 ministries and many community partners, to help address and prevent domestic violence.
Algoma - Manitoulin
- Bibliothèque Publique de Dubreuilville - $3,000 to purchase library resource materials to promote education on topics relating to preventing violence and abuse and creating healthy relationships.
- Conseil des Écoles Séparées Catholique de Dubreuilville - $3,000 to purchase library resources and material to promote education on topics related to preventing violence and abuse and creating healthy relationships.
- CHADWIC Home, Inc. (Wawa) - $3,000 to purchase new furnishings for the main living room and downstairs children's room of CHADWIC Home Inc.
- Elliot Lake Family Life Centre - $3,000 to develop and distribute promotional and awareness material on the services offered by the Elliot Lake Family Life Centre.
- Elliot Lake Women's Group, Inc. - $3,000 to develop and distribute promotional and awareness material to East Algoma communities on the services offered by the Women's Crisis Centre.
- Hornepayne Roman Catholic Separate School Board - $3,000 to purchase library resource materials related to violence and abuse prevention.
- Manitoulin Family Resources (Mindemoya) - $3,000 to erect two billboards in the LaCloche/Highway 17 area advertising a 24-hour crisis line throughout the catchment area.
- Manitoulin Northshore Victim Crisis Assistance and Referral Service (Little Current) - $3,000 to host a conference on violence amongst youth and provide training to individuals involved with youth on Manitoulin Island.
- Save the Children, Stop Sexual Abuse (Webbwood) - $3,000 to erect billboards along Highway 17 from Sault Ste. Marie to North Bay, including Manitoulin Island, to raise awareness of sexual abuse.
- Action ontarienne contre la violence faite aux femmes (Ottawa) - $3,000 to develop a virtual Web site library for francophone agencies in the North to better equip them in their intervention efforts with women victims of violence and raising community awareness.
- Centre ontarien de prévention des aggressions (Toronto) - $3,000 to update and enhance COPA's Web site with two new French-language programs to help promote violence prevention.