McGuinty Government Invests In Domestic Violence Prevention In Sudbury
The Ontario government is strengthening the communities in which we live by providing a total of $21,000 for eight projects in the Sudbury area to help prevent violence against women and children. The Ministry of Northern Development and Mines' Violence Against Women Prevention Initiative is one of approximately 40 provincial government programs, involving 10 ministries and many community partners, to help address and prevent domestic violence.
City of Greater Sudbury
- Coalition to Prevent Violence Against Women (Sudbury) - $3,000 to develop and present a proactive public awareness strategy surrounding the issues of domestic violence during the unveiling of a memorial to honour the memory of women who have died at the hands of their intimate partner.
- Conseil scolaire catholique du Nouvel-Ontario (Sudbury) - $3,000 to introduce a new elementary school pilot program to schools in Sudbury.
- India-Canada Association of Sudbury - $1,500 to conduct a one-day information-sharing workshop to address the needs of Asian immigrant women in Sudbury and area.
- Laurentian University (Sudbury) - $3,000 to host an awareness and educational workshop for persons in positions of authority to combat all types of harassment and bullying in the workplace.
- Sudbury Family Service - $3,000 to design a cover page and print and distribute 700 copies of the Service's "Towards Change" manual.
- Sudbury Multicultural and Folk Arts Association - $1,500 to conduct a one-day workshop to address the needs of immigrant, ethnic and visible minority groups.
- Sudbury Sexual Assault Crisis Centre - $3,000 to host a one-day workshop presented by Dr. Ruth Lanius to educate professionals in the mental health and sexual abuse fields on the connections between sexual abuse and serious mental illness.
- Sudbury Women's Centre des Femmes - $3,000 to coordinate an anti-violence public awareness campaign and promote the Sudbury Women's Centre des Femmes programs and services.
- Action ontarienne contre la violence faite aux femmes (Ottawa) - $3,000 to develop a virtual Web site library for francophone agencies in the North to better equip them in their intervention efforts with women victims of violence and raising community awareness.
- Centre ontarien de prévention des aggressions (Toronto) - $3,000 to update and enhance COPA's Web site with two new French-language programs to help promote violence prevention.