Northern Ontario Readies For Investment Attraction Push
McGuinty Government Helps Northern Cities Plan Training/Site Selector Visits
A group of economic development corporations partnered under the umbrella of Ontario's North Economic Development Corporation (ONEDC), are developing rural and urban investment attraction initiatives throughout Northern Ontario.
Investment readiness training workshops will focus on issues directly related to rural communities in Northern Ontario.
Familiarization tours will bring American site selectors to the five major northern cities to assess their readiness to attract investors in specific market areas. Other communities may be added to the tour. The site selector input will be used to develop specific tactics for future investment attraction activities while also promoting the North to key site selectors in the United States.
The Northern Communities Investment Readiness initiative provides eligible communities, economic development corporations, and First Nations with funding to develop the tools and capability to attract, and successfully explore investment opportunities. Applicants previously funded through the program may reapply where additional funding will advance the investment strategy. A key component of the GO North Investor Program, this initiative promotes a strong investment attraction climate in Northern Ontario.
The economic development partners in this pan-northern project are:
- Ontario's North Economic Development Corporation
- Wawa Economic Development Corporation
- White River Economic Development Corporation
- Superior East Community Futures Development Corporation (CFDC)
- Sault Ste. Marie and Area Community Development Corporation
- East Algoma CFDC
- Manitouwadge Economic Development Corporation
- Township of the North Shore
- South Temiskaming CFDC
- LaCloche Manitoulin Business Assistance Corporation (LAMBAC - a CFDC)
- Corporation of the Township of Spanish
- Blind River Development Corporation
- Sault Ste. Marie Economic Development Corporation
- Greater Sudbury Development Corporation
- North Bay Economic Development Corporation
- Timmins Economic Development Corporation
- Thunder Bay Community Economic Development Commission