Backgrounder: Highway 69 Expansion Continues
Since 2004, the McGuinty government has invested more than $365.2 million in several projects to expand Highway 69 between Sudbury and Parry Sound. A number of priority projects are keeping the completion of the four-laning of Highway 69 to Sudbury on track for 2017. They include:
- A recently completed $41,428,385 contract to construct a four-lane bypass of Estaire.
- A recently completed $43,466,000 contract to expand Highway 69 from Estaire to Highway 537.
- An ongoing $58,648,122 contract to construct a new four-lane alignment from Highway 537 to Sudbury.
- The completion in 2006 of an interchange at Gladu Road and an underpass at the Old Wanup Road, both elements of the expansion of Highway 69.
- A recently awarded $476,000 contract for advance clearing for the expansion of Highway 69 near Bigwood northerly over eight kilometres.
- A recently awarded $506,000 contract for advance clearing for the future expansion of Highway 69 from Estaire to Highway 637.
- Work on the "s-curve" realignment south of Highway 637 near Killarney. Scheduled for completion this fall, it will ultimately be part of the future expansion of Highway 69 from Estaire to Highway 637.
- Three ongoing construction projects from Parry Sound to Highway 559, totaling over $156 million. Work includes the Nobel bypass and four new interchanges.
- A number of projects currently in planning, engineering or property acquisition phases between Nobel and Estaire.