Launching the New Northern Ontario Heritage Fund Programs
Ontario Government Strengthening Northern Economy, Creating Jobs
Ontario is helping to build a stronger, more diverse economy while creating jobs in Northern Ontario with the launch of new Northern Ontario Heritage Fund Corporation (NOHFC) programs.
The programs will be aligned with business sectors that have high growth potential, as identified in the Growth Plan for Northern Ontario.
The five new, enhanced NOHFC programs include:
- Strategic Economic Infrastructure Program
- Northern Community Capacity Building Program
- Northern Innovation Program
- Northern Business Opportunity Program, and
- Northern Ontario Internship Program
Investing in northern business expansion is part of the government's economic plan to invest in people, invest in infrastructure and support a dynamic and innovative business climate.
- The NOHFC will be accepting applications under its enhanced programs starting October 21, 2013.
- Since 2003, NOHFC has committed more than $890 million to about 5,800 projects, creating or retaining nearly 23,000 jobs in Northern Ontario.
- The Growth Plan for Northern Ontario was released in March 2011 and it is an economic blueprint that will guide government priorities, initiatives and investments in the North.
“The NOHFC is a tremendous tool for economic stimulus and job creation across the North. We’re leading a strong future powered by this $100 million economic development fund. By aligning our programs with key growth sectors outlined in the Growth Plan for Northern Ontario, we can maximize opportunities for economic growth and prosperity, building a stronger, more diverse northern economy with the right climate to attract investment and create jobs.”
“I am very pleased that our government, through programs like the NOHFC is continuing to support important investments that are creating new jobs and improving the lives of countless families across Northern Ontario. By better aligning the NOHFC’s programs with the Growth Plan for Northern Ontario we will create new opportunities which will result in better jobs and a stronger Northern Ontario economy.”