Supporting Economic Development in Nipissing-Parry Sound Region
Ontario Creating Jobs, Strengthening Northern Economy
Ontario is helping to build a stronger, more diverse northern economy while creating jobs in the Nipissing and Parry Sound areas.
With $4.6 million in support from the province's Northern Ontario Heritage Fund Corporation (NOHFC), six projects in the Nipissing and Parry Sound regions are boosting the regional economy, and creating jobs. Projects include:
- Canadore College in North Bay is receiving $2 million to expand the School of Aviation and Technology.
- Blue Sky Net in North Bay is receiving $881,520 to improve Internet access in Callander, Nipissing, East Ferris and McKellar.
- The Village of South River is receiving $727,875 to construct a new building to house businesses, including an expansion of a local brewery.
- The Township of Seguin is receiving $493,650 for infrastructure upgrades at the local airport, including water, sewer and hydro services for three new businesses.
- The Township of Carling is receiving $490,050 to extend water and wastewater services at the Parry Sound Area Industrial Park for a new tenant.
- The Town of Parry Sound is receiving $27,000 to hire a consultant for a consumer and market study in support of the downtown revitalization plan.
Supporting local infrastructure and community development is part of the government's economic plan that is creating jobs for today and tomorrow. The comprehensive plan and its six priorities focus on Ontario's greatest strengths -- its people and strategic partnerships.
- Since 2003, the NOHFC has invested $930 million in 6,055 projects in Northern Ontario, creating or sustaining more than 23,400 jobs.
- In the Nipissing region since 2003, the NOHFC has invested $92.9 million in 640 projects, creating or sustaining more than 3,200 jobs.
- In the Parry Sound area, the NOHFC has invested $36 million in 275 projects, creating or sustaining nearly 2,000 jobs since 2003.
“Our government remains committed to fostering new and sustainable economic development opportunities in northern communities, helping to create more jobs and a stronger economy for all northerners. I am delighted that the NOHFC could support these important projects in the Nipissing and Parry Sound areas.”