Helping Northern Communities Attract Investment
Ontario Supporting Strong, Prosperous Northern Communities
Ontario is supporting northern communities by helping them to attract and develop investment opportunities.
The province's Northern Communities Investment Readiness initiative is investing more than $168,000 in 16 new investment projects led by northern communities, First Nations and economic development corporations. Projects include:
- Couchiching First Nation will receive $10,000 for a community profile project.
- Corporation du Developpement Economique et Communautaire de Dubreuilville will receive $16,415 for a commercial, industrial and residential land study.
- City of Kenora will receive $12,500 to complete a strategic plan for the Tunnel Island area.
- Lake of the Woods Development Commission will receive a total of $22,500 for a health care sector profile and a GDP data development project.
- Mitaanjigamiing First Nation will receive $9,165 for a community asset inventory project.
- The Township of Morley will receive $5,325 for an asset inventory project.
- Nipissing First Nation will receive $4,526 for an economic profile project.
- Nokiiwin Tribal Council will receive $12,266 to deliver an investment readiness training workshop.
- Northwest Angle #37 First Nation will receive $9,165 for an asset inventory project.
- Rainy River First Nations will receive a total of $30,000 for community profile, asset inventory and strategic plan projects.
- Township of Red Rock will receive $10,125 for community profile and asset inventory projects.
- Sioux Lookout will receive a total of $26,135 for a mining infrastructure investment and attraction project and a mining familiarization tour.
Attracting new investment and helping the province compete globally is part of the government's economic plan for Ontario. The four-part plan is building Ontario up by investing in people's talents and skills, building new public infrastructure like roads and transit, creating a dynamic, supportive environment where business thrive, and building a secure savings plan so everyone can afford to retire.
- Since 2006, the Northern Communities Investment Readiness initiative has approved more than $4 million for 381 projects across Northern Ontario.
- The Northern Communities Investment Readiness projects are designed to improve a community or region’s investment readiness and further advance the Growth Plan for Northern Ontario.
“Our government is committed to investing in northern communities and working with them to support a dynamic and prosperous northern economy. The Northern Communities Investment Readiness initiative helps communities undertake the planning and training they need to market themselves to investors. By funding these projects we’re ensuring that Northern Ontario is ready for investment.”