Ontario Grid Control Centre Will Continue to Operate Provincial Transmission System
Ontario’s Electricity Remains Safe and Reliable
To protect ratepayers and ensure a safe and reliable supply of electricity, a state-of-the-art facility that manages the flow of power will be required by law to remain in Ontario.
In anticipation of the Initial Public Offering of Hydro One, the Premier's Advisory Council on Government Assets recommends that operations at Grid Control Centre continue to be maintained in Ontario. The government has accepted this advice and will also require Hydro One's headquarters and senior leadership to remain located in the province.
Hydro One's Ontario Grid Control Centre, located in Barrie, is a state of the art facility that operates 97 percent of the transmission grid in Ontario as well as the power distribution assets of Hydro One. The Control Centre works directly with local electricity distribution companies across the province to ensure rapid, coordinated responses that maintain system reliability.
Investing more than $130 billion over 10 years in public infrastructure -- the largest infrastructure investment in the province's history -- is part of the government's plan for Ontario. The four-part plan is building Ontario up by investing in people's talents and skills, building new public infrastructure like roads and transit, creating a dynamic, innovative environment where business thrives, and building a secure retirement savings plan.
- Ontario Grid Control Centre operators respond to emergencies and coordinate response efforts across the province.
- The transmission system controlled by the Ontario Grid Control Centre operators includes 29,000 km of transmission line, 123,500 km of distribution line, enough to circle the earth three times; 91,195 transmission structures (towers and poles), 284 transmission stations, and 1,008 distribution stations.
- Hydro One is one of the top ten largest electricity transmission and distribution systems in North America.
- Learn more about Hydro One
- Read Improving performance and unlocking value in the electricity sector
- Read Ontario’s Long-Term Energy Plan
“The Ontario Grid Control Centre will continue to be the crucial hub of our electricity grid and its hard working teams will continue to ensure the lights stay on for the homes and businesses in our province.”
“I welcome the merger of Horizon Utilities, Enersource, PowerStream and Hydro One Brampton. Barrie residents have already felt the benefits of merging utilities, including a favourable impact on rates when Barrie Hydro merged with PowerStream.”
“The Ontario Grid Control Centre is a vital piece of Ontario's electricity system infrastructure. I am pleased that the government has accepted the recommendation of the Premier’s Advisory Council on Government Assets that this resource remains in Ontario, right here in Barrie.”