Ontario Invests in Community Infrastructure Projects in Nipissing
Funding Part of Largest Infrastructure Investment in Province’s History
Ontario is investing in infrastructure projects in the Nipissing region that will boost the local economy and improve the quality of life for residents.
Through the province's Northern Ontario Heritage Fund Corporation (NOHFC), $1.4 million will be provided to three projects:
- Canadore College will receive $906,860 to expand operations at the Innovation Centre for Advanced Manufacturing and Production. The facility provides Canadian manufacturing companies with the newest research and development resources available.
- The City of North Bay will receive $375,000 for an engineering study and environmental assessment of the construction of a new multi-use pier at the city's waterfront. The project will also consider the construction of a breakwater and siltation barrier in the location of the existing King's Landing wharf.
- The Municipality of Powassan will receive $144,475 for upgrades to the Trout Creek Community Centre, improving its functionality and preparing it for community events.
This funding is part of the largest infrastructure investment in Ontario's history -- more than $130 billion over 10 years, which will support more than 110,000 jobs per year on average, with projects such as roads, bridges, transit systems, schools and hospitals across the province.
Ontario's long-term infrastructure plan will help connect regions, develop new economic opportunities and improve quality of life for Ontarians by supporting critical infrastructure projects in cities, towns, and rural and remote communities all across the province.
Investing in local infrastructure is part of the government's plan to build Ontario up. The four-part plan includes investing in people's talents and skills, making the largest investment in public infrastructure in Ontario's history, creating a dynamic, innovative environment where business thrives, and building a secure retirement savings plan.
- Since 2003, the NOHFC has invested more than $1 billion in 6,870 projects in Northern Ontario, creating or sustaining more than 25,800 jobs.
- The NOHFC has invested over $99 million in Nipissing, supporting 717 projects and 3,591 jobs.
- A Conference Board of Canada report estimated that Ontario’s public infrastructure investment would add more than $1,000 to the average annual income of Ontarians in 2014 and lower the unemployment rate by about one percentage point.
- The NOHFC’s investments in community infrastructure are part of the Ontario government’s Growth Plan for Northern Ontario.
“By continuing to support local infrastructure projects through the NOHFC, our government is helping to create economic opportunities for Nipissing and communities across the North.”
“Canadore College is committed to developing industrial growth in the North. We connect manufacturing companies to the tools they need to innovate within a very competitive atmosphere. This funding allows us to up our capabilities. We’re proud to help make the North a strong business environment for the industrial and manufacturing sectors through this investment.”
“Partnering with the province allows us to reach out to all of our residents through improved services and infrastructure. We are pleased that The Trout Creek Community Centre can continue to provide cornerstone services to our residents, particularly through our involvement with the NOHFC.”