Ontario Supporting Jobs and Growth in Mineral Sector
Province Helping Companies in the North with Exploration and Training
Ontario is creating good jobs and growing the province's mining sector by providing prospecting training for the public and supporting mineral exploration by junior exploration companies in the North.
The province is partnering with the Ontario Prospectors Association (OPA) to help exploration companies grow by providing rebates of up to 33.33 per cent of eligible expenses to increase mineral exploration in Northern Ontario. The program also provides incentives for mineral exploration companies to actively engage Indigenous skills training and capacity building.
To date, the Junior Exploration Assistance Program has committed to support 48 exploration projects across Northern Ontario. The OPA is currently accepting a third round of applications until November 18, 2016.
To further enhance mineral exploration in Ontario, geologists with the Ontario Geological Survey and the OPA will deliver the first Prospecting Training Program course in Thunder Bay at Lakehead University beginning October 14. The training introduces members of the public to the information and skills they require to become prospectors in Ontario.
Investing in mineral exploration in Northern Ontario is part of our plan to create jobs, grow the economy and help people in their everyday lives.
- Ontario is investing in the Junior Exploration Assistance Program through the Northern Ontario Heritage Fund Corporation.
- Fifteen junior exploration companies are eligible to receive approximately $1.2 million through the second phase of the Junior Exploration Assistance Program. A total of 20 exploration projects will be completed as a result.
- The Junior Exploration Assistance Program and Prospecting Training Program support Ontario’s Mineral Development Strategy, a 10-year vision to position the province as the global leader in sustainable mineral exploration and development.
- Ontario led Canada in mining exploration spending in 2015, with exploration expenditures of approximately $393 million.
- Ontario’s value of mineral production reached $10.8 billion last year.
- Ontario accounts for approximately 25 per cent of mining jobs in Canada.
- Mining is the largest private employer of Indigenous peoples in Ontario.
- Register for the Prospector Training Program through the OPA at 807-622-3284.
- Apply to the Junior Exploration Assistance Program on the OPA web site.
- Mineral Development Strategy [pdf]
“Our goal is to be the global leader in mining exploration and development. The Junior Exploration Assistance Program and prospector training, in partnership with the Ontario Prospectors Association, will ensure that the mining sector continues to positively contribute to the prosperity of the province.”
“The Ontario Prospectors Association is proud to partner with the province to provide junior exploration companies and new prospectors the resources they need to find and develop mineral deposits that have the potential to become significant mines.”
“With market uncertainties affecting the ability of junior companies to raise funds for exploration, Metals Creek is highly appreciative of Ontario’s support for the mineral sector through the Junior Exploration Assistance Program. Funding through this program for drilling on Metal Creek’s flagship property in Timmins is giving more certainty in our efforts to advance this project in one of the world’s premier gold camps.”
Vice President Exploration, Metals Creek Resources