Ontario Supporting New Jobs in Sudbury
Province Supporting Local Businesses, Film Production and Skilled Internships
Ontario is helping to create good jobs and grow the economy in Greater Sudbury by supporting local employers.
Glenn Thibeault, MPP for Sudbury, made the announcement this morning in Sudbury on behalf of Michael Gravelle, Minister of Northern Development and Mines. This support will help local businesses, the mining sector and the film production industry to fill new positions and create skilled internships to meet growing demand.
This initiative, through the Northern Ontario Heritage Fund Corporation (NOHFC), will help:
- Mining services and research companies develop new technologies to increase safety, efficiency and sustainability
- Five film and television companies to launch new productions and supporting projects
- Six small businesses to expand their operations
- Local businesses to create 24 paid internship job placements for recent graduates.
Creating good jobs and opportunities for people in the North is part of our plan to create jobs, grow our economy, and help people in their everyday lives.
- Ontario is investing $9.6 million in total through the Northern Ontario Heritage Fund Corporation (NOHFC) to support these projects in Sudbury.
- Since 2013, the NOHFC has made total investments of more than $446 million across Northern Ontario, leveraging more than $1.4 billion in direct economic activity and helping to create or sustain almost 9,985 jobs.
- The NOHFC’s investments are an important part of Ontario’s Growth Plan for Northern Ontario [pdf].
- The NOHFC works to build strong, prosperous Northern communities through unique programs.
“Our government recognizes that private sector expansion and job creation is vital to the growth of our northern economy. We are pleased to support film and television productions, help entrepreneurs grow their businesses and create job placements for youth and recent graduates.”
“The NOHFC is diversifying the Northern economy by partnering with businesses that are creating jobs for Northern residents. Today’s investments demonstrate Ontario’s continued commitment to growing the economy, creating jobs and helping Northerners in their everyday lives.”