Helping Grow Northern Ontario's Film and Television Industry
New Facility to Support Local Economy, Skills Training and Good Jobs
Ontario and the Government of Canada are helping to grow the northern film and television industry, boost postsecondary skills development and create good local jobs by supporting a new post-production facility at Canadore College in North Bay.
This support will allow the college to build a new 5,588 square-foot post-production centre on Canadore's main campus, including editing, audio mixing and colour grading technology. The new facility will support the growing needs of the northern film industry and help to create 26 jobs over the next three years.
Thefacility will also enable Canadore to offer a new post-production diploma program. In partnership with Post Production North, the program will give students access to equipment and training, and offer work experience alongside industry professionals.
Supporting good jobs and a growing film and television industry in the North is part of our plan to create jobs, grow our economy, and help people in their everyday lives.
- The province invested $375,045 through its Northern Ontario Heritage Fund Corporation (NOHFC) to support Canadore College.
- The federal and provincial governments are contributing a total of $875,000 to help complete the Canadore College post production centre.
- Canadore’s post production centre, once completed, will be the first facility of its kind in Northern Ontario and the only certified Dolby Premier Studio in North America.
- The NOHFC has supported the growth of film and television production in Northern Ontario by providing more than $62 million to 106 projects since 2013. This has leveraged more than $289 million in direct economic activity.
- On average, $1 million of film and television production in Ontario generates 21 full-time direct and associated jobs.
- In the North Bay area, the NOHFC has invested more than $42 million in 310 projects helping to create or sustain more than 915 jobs since 2013.
“By supporting Canadore College’s post-production centre, our government is helping to bolster Northern Ontario’s thriving film and television production industry and provide new economic and job training opportunities for people right here in the North. Today’s announcement delivers on our commitment to help create good jobs and grow the northern economy.”
“The Government of Canada is proud to invest in Canadore College to support the evolution of Northern Ontario’s creative economy. Film production is one of the fastest growing industries in the region and this strategic initiative will support the continued growth of this important sector, while providing students with the skills needed to secure employment in this specialized field.”
“Canadore College is a leader in technology and innovation and today’s announcement ensures the college is well positioned to meet the immediate and long-term needs of its students and industry partners. Establishing a post production centre here in North Bay will create local jobs, support a strong middle-class and help us capitalize on emerging opportunities in the motion picture industry.”
“We are extremely grateful for the confidence that the governments of Canada and Ontario have placed in Canadore College, and for the investments they are making in our Northern Ontario economy. Our post production centre will provide access to unparalleled education to train film professionals, will attract more industry to our region and will provide an opportunity for our youth to stay and be employed in the North.”