Building a Place to Celebrate Francophone Culture and Community
La Place des Arts will be a Gathering Place for Franco-Ontarians in Sudbury
Ontario is supporting the construction of the new La Place des Arts du Grand Sudbury, a multi-use arts centre that will provide a venue for the Francophone community and the arts and culture sector in Sudbury and create good local jobs.
Glenn Thibeault, MPP for Sudbury, made the announcement on behalf of Minister of Northern Development and Mines Bill Mauro this morning at the future site of La Place des Arts in Sudbury. The province's support, through the Northern Ontario Heritage Fund Corporation (NOHFC), will help to fund the construction of the new centre, beginning in 2018.
The new arts centre will include:
- A 300‑seat performance hall
- An art gallery
- Specialty workshops
- Artists' studios
- Multi-purpose spaces
Once completed, La Place des Arts is expected to create 9 full‑time jobs, and 17 part-time positions for people in Sudbury.
Supporting multi-use facilities, cultural hubs and good jobs in Northern Ontario is part of our plan to create jobs, grow the economy, and help people in their everyday lives.
- Ontario is investing $5 million in this project through the Northern Ontario Heritage Fund Corporation (NOHFC).
- The 2017 Ontario Budget committed a $3.25 million investment to this project through the Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Sport.
- In partnership with its seven founding members the Place des Arts (a not-for-profit Ontario corporation and charitable organization created in 2015) has now confirmed 50 per cent of the $30M capital campaign to construct the 60,000 square foot centre.
- Since 2013, the NOHFC has invested more than $488 million in 3,165 projects, helping to create or sustain more than 10,895 jobs across Northern Ontario.
- In the Sudbury region, the NOHFC has invested $90 million in 536 projects, creating or sustaining more than 1,370 jobs, since 2013.
“Our government recognizes how important the tourism and culture sector are to the growth of our northern economy. We are delighted to support the construction of the Place des Arts, which will provide a vital centre to host Francophone and other cultural events, create good local jobs and help revitalize Sudbury’s downtown core.”
“La Place des Arts du Grand Sudbury is another concrete example of our government’s commitment to supporting the Franco-Ontarian community and the arts and culture across Ontario. I know that the francophone arts and cultural community of Sudbury has worked hard for many years to bring this project to fruition. Let’s get building.”
Marie France Lalonde
“Sudbury’s Place des Arts project is creating a new economic and service hub for the community that will be the focal point for a growing arts and culture sector. Our government is committed to supporting this important project, which will increase traffic to the downtown during non-business hours and provide significant spin-off benefits for restaurants and other businesses in the area.”
“Our member organizations and community partners are dedicated to creating a central hub and gathering place for Sudbury’s artists, community members of all ages, visitors and staff. We thank the province for its important investment to help our Place des Arts dream become reality.”