Ontario Supporting New Jobs in Timmins
Investments Creating Opportunity in Local Mining Supply and Services Sector
Ontario is helping to create over 70 new jobs in Timmins by investing in 13 mining supply and services projects.
Michael Gravelle, Minister of Northern Development and Mines, made the announcement today at OK Tire Mining Division in Timmins. Ontario's investment is helping the company expand its operations and purchase new equipment. The business refurbishes mining tires and provides Off‑The‑Road and commercial tire sales and services.
The province is also investing in the establishment of INEOS Calabrian's innovative liquid sulphur dioxide production facility at the industrial rail park on Hallnor Road, creating 20 new jobs.
Today's investments, made through the Northern Ontario Heritage Fund Corporation (NOHFC), will also support 11 other mining supply and services companies in Timmins, creating or supporting another 41 jobs.Encouraging private sector job creation in the North's mining supply and services sector is part of our plan to increase fairness and opportunity for people across Ontario.
- Ontario is investing more than $5 million in these projects through the NOHFC.
- Ontario's leading-edge mining supply and services sector employs more than 40,000 people and has an estimated direct economic impact of $6.6 billion.
- Since 2013, the NOHFC has invested more than $552 million in 3,463 projects, helping to create or sustain more than 14,500 jobs across Northern Ontario.
- In the Timmins region, the NOHFC has invested $30 million in 316 projects, creating or sustaining more than 925 jobs since 2013.
- Ontario’s Mineral Development Strategy is creating modern and progressive business practices to make sure the mineral sector continues to create new opportunities for generations to come.
“Our government understands that a competitive, innovative and safe mining sector is essential to positioning our province as the global leader in sustainable mineral development and production. Today’s significant investments in northern mining supply and services businesses will ensure Ontario continues to be the place that the world’s industry turns to for innovations in mining technology.”
“Thanks to major provincial investments like this through the NOHFC, Timmins continues to see local businesses expanding, increasing employment opportunities and strengthening the local economy.”
“Our company has been in operation for more than 45 years and with the establishment of our OK Tire Mining Division in Timmins, we are better positioned to service our mining and commercial clients in the region. We thank the province and the NOHFC for investing in this project, which is helping create an additional 11 jobs in the area.”
“INEOS Calabrian is a new chemical supplier servicing the mining, pulp and paper and chemical companies in this area. The plant provides sulphur-based chemicals. The investment made by the NOHFC in rail infrastructure for the new industrial rail-park was a big factor in our decision to locate here. Servicing customers from here has benefited our company, our customers and our local partners.”