New System For Entering Big Game Draws
Ontario has made some changes to the way hunters can apply to draws for deer, moose and elk:
Ways to Enter Draws
- Online: Ontario hunters can now enter the draws through the Internet at ontario.ca/outdoorscard.
- By Phone: Hunters also have the option of using the automated phone system, as in previous years.
- ServiceOntario: Paper draw entries are also available, but must be picked up and dropped of at any of the 69 ServiceOntario centres that sell hunting licences. For locations, visit ontario.ca/outdoorscard.
- It is important to note that mail-in applications will no longer be accepted.
- Antlerless Deer Draw: open from March 1 to July 3. Results of the antlerless deer validation tag draw will be available starting August 8.
- Moose Draw: open April 18 to May 31. Results of the moose validation tag draw will be available August 1.
- Elk Draw: open May 1 to June 11. Results of the elk validation tag draw will be available August 2.
- Controlled Deer Hunt Draw: open August 1 to August 31. Results of the controlled deer hunt draw will be available October 10.
- Draw results will be available by phone at 1-800-288-1155 and online at ontario.ca/outdoorscard.
- Big-game draws are used to randomly distribute hunting opportunities throughout the province in the form of validation tags.
- The number of validation tags available each year is based on sustaining the species. For instance, if the population is high in any given area, the number of validation tags can be increased to help manage the herd.
- As always, hunters' chances of getting a validation tag are the same regardless of how they apply. The random draw is computerized, without preference for the method of entry.
- Validation tags will be mailed to successful hunters -- or to group leaders for successful group applications -- as in previous years.
For more information, visit ontario.ca/outdoorscard.