Free Ice Fishing This Family Day Weekend
The New Ontario Government Encourages Families to Enjoy the Outdoors
Ontario residents can fish without purchasing a licence this Family Fishing Weekend, which runs from Feb. 16-18.
Here are a few of the ice-fishing events families can enjoy this weekend:
- The Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters Family Ice Fishing Day on Feb. 16, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., at Rotary Park on Chemong Lake, Ennismore
- The Manitouwadge Family Fishing Derby at Lion's Beach on Feb. 17, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- The Ice Fishing Derby for Kids on Feb. 17, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., at Johnson Lake in Hearst
Families can get some fresh air and enjoy Ontario's outdoors this weekend in communities across the province.
- Approximately 1.3 million anglers fish in Ontario each year and spend $2.5 billion in the province annually.
- This year, Canadian residents can fish without a licence in Ontario from Feb. 16-18 and in the summer from July 6-14.
- Even during licence-free fishing events, it is important to follow the catch limits.
“Winter is a great time to get outdoors and enjoy some family time. Whether you’ve been fishing for years or are looking for a new outdoor activity, I encourage everyone to go ice fishing during Family Fishing Weekend.”
“Ice fishing is a great Canadian winter pastime and a very family-friendly activity. If you’ve never tried ice fishing, this is the perfect time to head out with the family or join one of the many Ontario family fishing events designed specifically for newcomers to the sport. It’s also a great way to spend the Family Day long weekend.”