New Sudbury Forest Fire Management Centre
Ontario is investing $25 million in firefighting infrastructure by renovating the Sudbury Forest Fire Management Centre, located at the Greater Sudbury Airport. The fire management centre serves as the hub for coordinating emergency response and forest fire suppression for northeastern Ontario.
Improvements at the Sudbury fire management centre include:
- An addition to the office building
- A large addition to the warehouse facility
- The purchase of a nearby aviation hangar
The benefits of the planned improvements include:
- More efficient use of program space, providing a safe, barrier-free work environment for fire fighters and support staff
- All storage will be located on site, eliminating the need for travel between the fire centre and off-site storage facilities
- A safer workflow for fire vehicles and airside operations between the two hangars, the warehouse and the office
- The ability to house additional staff safely and comfortably during periods of increased fire activity
The new facility will follow Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) principles.
Construction is expected to be completed during the first half of 2016.
Find out more about the Aviation, Forest Fire and Emergency Services, MNR's firefighting program.