Free Ice Fishing This Family Day Weekend
Ontario Encourages Families to Enjoy the Outdoors
Ontario residents can fish without purchasing a licence this Family Fishing Weekend, which runs Feb. 15-17.
Here are a few of the ice-fishing events that families can enjoy this weekend:
▪ The Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters Family Ice Fishing Day on Feb. 15, 10 a.m.to 2 p.m., at Rotary Park on Chemong Lake, Ennismore
▪ The annual Ice Fishing Derby at Valens Lake Conservation Area near Cambridge on Feb. 15, 6 a.m. to 2 p.m.
▪ The Ottawa Region Walleye League Free Kids Day on Ice in Dunrobin on Feb. 15, 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
Ice fishing is just one of the many great activities in the Ontario Children's Outdoor Charter that kids can enjoy this winter. So go get some fresh air and enjoy Ontario's outdoors this weekend in communities across the province.
- Approximately 1.3 million licensed anglers fish in Ontario each year and spend $2.5 billion in the province annually.
- This year, Canadian residents can fish without a licence in Ontario from Feb. 15-17 and again this summer from July 5-13.
- Anglers are reminded to follow rules in the 2014 Fishing Regulations Summary.
- For more information on Family Fishing Weekend events, visit the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters.
- The Ontario government and seven partners have launched the Ontario Children’s Outdoor Charter: download an activity passport for tracking progress in completing 12 outdoor activities, including fishing.
- Plan your fishing trip from start to finish with Ontario’s Fish ON-Line tool.
- Find out how to get an Outdoors Card and fishing licence.
“Ice fishing is a great way to enjoy winter with family and friends. The Ontario Children’s Outdoor Charter highlights 12 exciting activities that encourage children to go outside and explore their natural environment. The activity passport makes it fun for kids to complete the charter activities.”
“Many people express an interest in fishing, yet are faced with barriers. Ontario Family Fishing Weekend aims to break down these barriers by offering Canadian residents the opportunity to fish Ontario waters licence-free. Fishing is the perfect pastime because every member of the family can enjoy it at their own level.”
“As a proud member of the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters, I look forward to attending the annual Family Ice Fishing day with my family again this year. Ice fishing on Chemong Lake is a great way to spend quality time with your children. I encourage everyone to come out and give ice fishing a try. You don’t need a licence to fish this weekend — just warm clothing and a desire to have fun outside.”