Ontario Launches Online Ice Hut Registration
The Ontario government is making it easier and faster to register new ice fishing huts. On October 7, 2014, individuals and businesses can register their ice fishing huts online free of charge.
Ice hut registration is only required in Fisheries Management Zones 9 to 12 and 14 to 20. Ice huts that are tents made of fabric covering the base area of 7 square meters (75.4 square feet) or less do not need to be registered or display a number.
The online registry will be available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. An individual or business only needs to register for an ice hut number once. Previously issued ice hut numbers continue to be valid and there is no need to re-register.
Each year, about 1.3 million licensed anglers fish in Ontario, growing the province's economy by $2.5 billion.
- Ontario’s lakes and rivers are home to 160 types of freshwater fish.
- An individual or business can access the registration form online through ontario.ca/icefishing.
- A paper registration form is available by request by calling 1-855-613-4256 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- ServiceOntario centres can also assist in accessing the forms through a public access terminal and printing off a paper copy.
- Additional permits or authorizations may be required for those planning to use an ice fishing hut in a provincial park.
- Learn more about ice fishing hut online registration and whether this change affects you.
- Learn about ice fishing and ice hut removal dates in the Ontario Fishing Regulations Summary.
- For assistance with the online registration, contact Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry’s Registry and Approval Services Centre (RASC) at 1-855-613-4256 or email@example.com.