Fish For Free This Family Day Weekend
Ontario Encourages Families to Enjoy the Outdoors
Canadian residents can fish without buying a fishing licence this Family Day Weekend, which runs Feb. 14-16, 2015.
These are a few of the ice-fishing events that families can enjoy this weekend:
- The Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters Family Ice Fishing Day on Feb. 14, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., at Rotary Park on Chemong Lake, Ennismore
- The Dryden Winter Festival Ice Fishing Derby on Feb. 16, noon to 5 p.m.
Before venturing out:
- Check ice conditions with local ice hut operators or other anglers.
- Let others know where you're planning to fish and when you plan to return.
- Appropriate clothing and equipment are critical to safety and comfort. Many anglers wear floatation suits and carry a set of ice picks.
So get outside and enjoy some fresh air this weekend in communities across the province.
- Approximately 1.3 million licensed anglers fish in Ontario each year and spend $2.5 billion in the province annually.
- This year, Canadian residents can fish without a licence in Ontario from Feb. 14-16 and again this summer from July 4-12.
- Anglers are reminded to follow rules in the 2015 Fishing Regulations Summary.
- For more information on Family Fishing Weekend events, visit the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters.
- Learn more about ice fishing.
- The Fish Guide provides advice on eating fish from more than 2,300 locations in Ontario.
- Plan your fishing trip from start to finish with Ontario’s Fish ON-Line tool.
- Find out how to get an Outdoors Card and fishing licence.
“Fishing without having to buy a licence is an affordable way to try a new, fun family activity. You’ll get hooked!”
“Breaking down barriers to fishing opportunities is one of our core mandates at the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters. Ontario Family Fishing Weekend does just that, providing Canadian residents the opportunity to fish Ontario’s beautiful waters licence-free. It’s a perfect time for families to create memories while enjoying the great outdoors.”
“As a proud member of the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters, I look forward to attending the annual Family Ice Fishing day with my family again this year. Ice fishing on Chemong Lake is a great way to spend quality time with your family. I encourage everyone to come out and give ice fishing a try. You don’t need a licence to fish this weekend — just warm clothing and a desire to have fun outside.”