Celebrate Free Family Fishing Week This July
Tackle the Great Outdoors and Reel in Family Fun
With summer officially here, celebrate the warm weather and the great outdoors by fishing licence-free with the whole family from July 1 through July 9, 2017.
Families across the province can take part in Free Family Fishing Week by finding a good nearby fishing spot through Ontario's Fish ON-Line website, or by learning the ropes of fishing at one of many community angling events, including:
- Ontario Women Anglers Bass Fishing Weekend for Women from July 1-July 3 at Elbow Lake, north of Kingston
- The Hamilton Bass Masters Kids Fishing Derby on July 8 in Binbrook
- The St. Thomas 10th Annual Fishing Derby on July 7 at Pinafore Park in St. Thomas
- Urban Fisheries Festival on July 8 in Progress Park in Pickering.
- Approximately 1 million fishing licences are sold in in Ontario each year.
- Fish license fees go back into programs that help stock Ontario waterways, conduct biological research and support conservation projects.
- Ontario’s lakes and rivers are home to approximately 160 types of freshwater fish.
- New anglers can borrow fishing gear for free through the Tackleshare program.
- Check out the Ontario Family Fishing Events website for events near you.
- Pick up the basics of fishing with Ontario’s Learn to Fish Program.
- Plan your fishing trip with the Fish ON-Line tool, where you can search by lake or type of fish, and check fishing limits.
- Many of Ontario’s major cities are along lakes and rivers, offering great urban fishing opportunities.
- How to introduce fishing to the first time angler.
“Fishing is a great way for families and friends to get outside, spend time together and enjoy Ontario’s beautiful lakes and rivers. Family Fishing Week offers everyone the opportunity to give fishing a try, and I encourage you to join in the fun at one of the many free family fishing events taking place across the province.”