Ontario's Expenditure Management Review Begins
McGuinty Government Announces Treasury Board Working Group Members
Ontario has announced the members of the new Treasury Board working group, which will review program expenditures and service delivery to ensure that every dollar is spent even more effectively across the province. The working group held its first meeting yesterday.
Like many other jurisdictions, Ontario is currently facing significant economic and fiscal challenges. A strategic spending review by Treasury Board was announced in the 2009 Fall Economic Statement to provide recommendations to Dwight Duncan, Minister of Finance, that would return the province to firmer fiscal footing. The goal of this review is to ensure the sustainability of the key services that matter most to Ontario families.
The working group will consist of the following people: Attorney General Chris Bentley (co-chair), Minister of Community and Social Services and Minister Responsible for Francophone Affairs Madeleine Meilleur (co-chair), Minister Without Portfolio Gerry Phillips, Minister of Tourism and Government House Leader Monique Smith, Minister of Energy and Infrastructure George Smitherman, Minister of Education Kathleen Wynne, Sophia Aggelonitis, Greg Sorbara and Maria Van Bommel.
Minister Duncan will present the next steps in the government's plan to reduce the deficit in the 2010 Budget.
- Ontario has the second-lowest program expense per capita among all Canadian jurisdictions.
- Like many governments around the world, Ontario continues to face significant economic challenges from the global recession, and the government is projecting a deficit of $24.7 billion for 2009-10 as it continues to invest in Ontarians.
- The 2010 Budget will provide an update on the Treasury Board working group's progress.
- The Honourable Gerry Phillips
- The Honourable Monique Smith
- The Honourable George Smitherman
- The Honourable Kathleen Wynne
- Sophia Aggelonitis
- Greg Sorbara
- Maria Van Bommel
- Read the 2009 Ontario Economic Outlook and Fiscal Review.
- Learn more about the Working Group members:
- The Honourable Chris Bentley
- The Honourable Madeleine Meilleur
“During this global recession, the McGuinty government has invested in job creation, health care and education. Establishing the Treasury Board Working Group is the next step in the government's long-term strategic plan announced in the Fall Economic Statement, to ensure the sustainability of Ontario's public services.”