2012 Ontario Savings Bonds Rates Announced
McGuinty Government Providing Ontarians Solid Investment Options That Help Build A Growing Economy
Ontario announced competitive interest rates for the 2012 issue of Ontario Savings Bonds (OSBs), which are on sale today until June 21, 2012.
The interest rates for the 2012 OSBs series are:
- The five-year Step-Up Bond interest rate is 1.25 per cent this year, 1.50 per cent in the second year, 1.75 per cent in the third year, 2.00 per cent in the fourth year and 2.25 per cent in the final year
- The Fixed-Rate Bonds interest rates are:
- 1.50 per cent for the three-year Fixed-Rate Bond
- 2.80 per cent for the 10-year Fixed-Rate Bond
- The three-year Variable-Rate Bond interest rate is 1.25 per cent for the first year.
The interest rate on the Variable-Rate Bonds is effective from June 21, 2012 to June 20, 2013 for series 2009 to 2012. The interest rate on Variable-Rate Bonds for the 2006 to 2008 series was also reset today at 1.25 per cent and is effective from June 21, 2012 to December 20, 2012.
- Both principal and interest are fully backed by the province of Ontario.
- OSBs are available for the small-to-large investors in amounts from as low as $100 and up to $1,000,000.
- Only Ontario residents can purchase OSBs through banks, trust companies, credit unions, caisses populaires and investment dealers.
- The following bonds are maturing on June 21, 2012: 2005 Variable-Rate, 2007 Step-Up and the 2009 (3-year) Fixed-Rate Bonds. Purchasers can extend their benefits by reinvesting in 2012 OSBs.
- OSBs have been sold in Ontario since 1995.
“Ontario Savings Bonds provide people with the opportunity to invest at home where their investments help support worthwhile services like education and health care. Ontarians can enjoy peace of mind knowing their investments are safe, secure and fully backed by the province, while helping to strengthen Ontario's economy for a better tomorrow.”