Resolve to Bag-it-Back this January
Get Your Deposit Refund and Make the Greener Choice to Return Empties
If your post-holiday clean-up involves disposing empty alcohol containers, resolve to be greener in 2016 by bringing them to the Beer Store for a refund.
Through the Ontario Deposit Return Program, consumers receive a full deposit refund for returning eligible alcohol containers to the Beer Store. Eligible containers include glass, PET plastic, Tetra Pak, bag-in-box and aluminum and steel containers sold at the LCBO, Beer Store, or at winery, brewery and distillery retail stores.
Returned containers are recycled into useful products such as new containers, car mats, seat belts, carpeting, clothing, fibreglass insulation and cardboard.
Ontario recently introduced the Waste Free Ontario Act that, if passed, would build on the success of programs like this one to ensure more waste is recycled while creating new jobs and investment opportunities.
Harnessing the value of waste as an economic resource is part of the government's plan to build Ontario up. The four-part plan includes investing in people's talents and skills, making the largest investment in public infrastructure in Ontario's history, creating a dynamic, innovative environment where business thrives and building a secure retirement savings plan.
- Wine, beer and spirit containers over 100mL purchased in Ontario can be returned to the Beer Store, an LCBO agency store or an empty bottle dealer for a full deposit refund.
- Containers less than or equal to 630 mL and aluminum and steel containers less than or equal to one litre can be returned for a refund of 10 cents per container.
- Containers over 630 mL and aluminum and steel containers over one litre can be returned for a refund of 20 cents per container.
- Approximately 80 per cent of all liquor containers have been returned to the Beer Store annually.
- The Beer Store has operated a beer container deposit return program since 1927. In 2015, the government negotiated a $1 million reduction to its annual costs for the Ontario Deposit Return Program, continuing to leverage the Beer Store’s infrastructure.
“Help make Ontario greener by bringing your empty alcohol bottles, cans and other containers to the Beer Store. Not only will you be receiving your deposit refund, but you’ll be helping divert millions of bottles from Ontario’s landfills.”
“The Ontario Deposit Return Program is an easy and convenient way for people to do their part for a better environment by recycling empty wine, beer and liquor bottles. Since 2007, Ontarians have responsibly returned more than two and a half billion containers. This diverts waste from landfills, boosts the economy and helps create innovative new products.”