Ontario Influenza Activity
Highlights of flu activity for the latest surveillance period of January 2 to January 8, 2011 include:
- 720 laboratory confirmed influenza cases were reported from January 2 to 8, 2011. For the same time period from 2005 to 2009, an average of 129 laboratory confirmed influenza cases were reported.
- 19 institutional influenza outbreaks occurred from January 2 to January 8, 2011 and 36 institutional influenza outbreaks occurred between December 26 and January 1.
- Toronto, Huron, Hamilton and Haliburton-Kawartha-Pine Ridge health units reported widespread influenza activity. Eleven other health units reported localized influenza activity.
- For every 1,000 patients that went to visit sentinel physicians, more than 50 came in with flu-like symptoms. The rate of influenza-like illness (ILI) in patients seen by sentinel physicians is above the average rate expected at this time of year.
- There were 113 new hospitalized cases. 74 hospitalized cases were reported from December 26 to January 1, 2011.
- Overall, influenza activity is higher than the previous reporting period and is higher than what is expected for this time of year.