Expanding St. Thomas Elgin General Hospital For Local Families
McGuinty Government Providing Families Better Care Closer To Home
A major capital redevelopment approved for the St. Thomas Elgin General Hospital will give people and families in the St. Thomas and Elgin County area better access to state-of-the-art health care, closer to home.
Planning is underway for the redevelopment and expansion project, which includes:
- A new 15-bed acute mental health inpatient unit, and an outpatient mental health day hospital;
- A new emergency department;
- New ambulatory care and new surgical services departments;
- New central supply department; and
- Improvements to the hospital's main entrance and circulation through the hospital campus.
Investing in modern and efficient hospitals that support the needs of our aging and diversifying population is part of Building Together, Ontario's long-term infrastructure plan. Ontario will continue to make significant investments in public infrastructure over the next decade to improve the quality of life for families.
- Since 2003, the government has invested in mental health capital projects in Windsor, St. Thomas, London, Kitchener, Hamilton and Cambridge.
- St. Thomas Elgin General Hospital is a 166-bed community hospital that serves families in the St. Thomas and Elgin County and surrounding area.
- Ontario has invested in over 100 major hospital capital projects since 2003. This includes 18 brand new hospitals that are either completed or in development.
- The McGuinty government will be investing more than $35 billion in hospitals, public transit, schools, highways and other projects over the next three years as part of the Building Together infrastructure plan.
“I know how important this expansion is to the people of this community and I'm proud to see it move forward. For area residents, these new upgrades mean faster and better access to high quality health care services much closer to home.”
“Our Building Together infrastructure plan is our road map to a stronger Ontario. We know that infrastructure, such as major hospital projects, are worth investing in and maintaining for the good of everyone.”
“I'm delighted the government is supporting our hospital's plan to improve its facilities so that residents of St. Thomas and Elgin County and the surrounding area will soon have access to the very best in hospital care.”